Summer Slatt Research
Why Summer Research at Notre Dame?
Undergraduate students interested in summer research at Notre Dame will join more than 300 other students from around the world to experience the thrill of scientific research and discovery, making a difference in the world, developing new skills and confidence, engaging in diverse cultures, broadening professional and social networks, discerning career interests, and preparing for the next step in their educational journey. View short videos and testimonies from previous students on their summer research experiences at Notre Dame.
Summer Slatt Fellowships
ND Energy offers summer research opportunities to undergraduate students at Notre Dame and to students from minority-serving institutions through the Vincent P. Slatt Fellowship for Undergraduate Research in Energy Systems and Processes. Interested students may apply between February 1-28. Students are notified in March. For more information, view the information below and download the flyer to share with others.
Slatt scholars conduct full-time, cutting-edge research in sustainable energy with ND Energy faculty affiliates over a 10-week period from May 20 - July 27, 2024. Scholars also participate in professional development workshops and social events with students from other programs and present a research poster at the Summer Undergraduate Research Symposium.
Summer Slatt scholars receive awards of up $8,500 per student. This includes a stipend of $6,200 that is paid over the 10-week period and allowances to assist with on-campus housing ($1,500), meals ($500 in Domer Dollars), and travel ($300), if needed. Slatt scholars are also eligible to receive a one-time travel award of up to $1,000 per student to present their research at a national conference. Students can apply for the travel award up to six months after the end of their award-year.
General Terms and Conditions
- Slatt Fellowships are used to support undergraduate research at Notre Dame.
- Slatt scholars residing on campus in a dorm arranged by ND Energy will receive a housing allowance.
- Slatt scholars will attend as many of the joint professional development and social events as possible.
- Slatt scholars will present their research project at the Summer Undergraduate Research Symposium.
- Slatt scholars will submit a final report summarizing their research project at the end of their research experience (see template).
- Slatt scholars will prepare a thank-you letter to the Slatt family at the end of their research experience.
All applications from students at Notre Dame and other universities will be considered. Preference will be given to incoming juniors and seniors and students from minority serving institutions. Below is a summary of the application materials required for consideration.
- Brief statement on academic achievements and research experiences
- Short essay on the importance of research in addressing today's energy challenges
- Summary of current career goals
- Recommendation letter from academic adviser/mentor
- Copy of resume with current GPA
- Copy of unofficial UG transcript
Supporting Application Criteria - Notre Dame Students Only
Faculty advisers are required to complete a supporting application with the following information:
- Previous Funding
- Proposed Project Period
- How the Project Aligns with ND Energy's Mission
- Recommendation Letter
Faculty Advisor General Terms and Conditions
- The faculty adviser will engage the student in group meetings and activities.
- The faculty adviser will mentor and guide the student to ensure successful completion of project objectives.
- The faculty adviser will support and encourage the student to participate in professional development workshops, social events, and the Summer Undergraduate Research Symposium.
- The faculty adviser will assist the student as needed in completing their final report.
Helpful Information After Award Notification
The 2024 Summer Slatt Program Guide will be available soon. In the meantime, please view the 2023 Summer Slatt Program Guide and contact Barbara Villarosa at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and questions.
ND Energy has reserved a block of rooms for summer Slatt scholars through Residential Life and will coordinate room arrangements with students prior to their arrival. Students will be notified by ND Energy when they are able to log into Home Under the Dome and complete the Summer Housing Application. Housing rates will be available soon.
To learn more about on-campus housing, visit Summer Housing.
University Requirements, Services, and Resources
Slatt scholars will register for a zero-credit summer course and complete the ND Roll Call process. Registered students will have access to on-campus housing, meal plans, parking, library services, computer clusters, RecSports, and more.
- Visiting students will receive registration information from ND Energy.
- Notre Dame students will need to obtain department approval before registering through insideND.
- Registration begins in March.
- ND Roll Call opens in May.
To learn more about University resources, view Student Services & Resources.
Admitted Student Checklist
The University will require all students to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before arriving on campus.
- New students must receive all doses of the vaccine in their home state or country prior to arrival.
- Vaccines must be approved by a U.S. federal agency to be accepted as part of the requirement.
- Students may apply for religious or medical exemptions.
- Students spending fewer than seven consecutive days on campus are exempt from the requirement, though vaccination is strongly encouraged.
To help visiting students with an easy transition, view Admitted Student Checklist.
Health and Safety Protocols
The University will require all visiting students to complete the following to be in compliance with University health and safety protocols:
- Complete an immunization form signed by the student's health provider and uploaded to the student health portal with other supporting documents.
- Complete a New Student Requirement Form found in the health portal to provide medical history.
- Complete the COVID vaccination and the COVID Bivalent vaccination form and upload proof of vaccination to the health portal.