The Vincent P. Slatt Fellowship for Undergraduate Research in Energy Systems and Processes provides an opportunity for undergraduate students at the University of Notre Dame to conduct energy-related research with an ND Energy affiliated faculty member or faculty who are willing to become affiliated.
Approximately 13 awards of up to $5,000 per student are made each year. Awards are used to support student stipends, supplies, travel for students to present their research at national conferences and meetings, and if applicable, summer housing and meals.
Interested students will complete an online application in collaboration with their faculty advisor, who will also complete an online supporting application on behalf of the student. The role of the faculty advisor is to help the student articulate the goals of the research project and to guide and direct the students in pursuit of solving major energy issues through research and analytical study.
New for 2019 funding, applications will be accepted during October 2018 with notifications made in November and funding available in January 2019 for spring, summer, and fall research periods. By changing the schedule to a calendar year, hopefully more students will conduct research throughout the summer months, when they can be fully engaged in the research project and reap additional benefits.
Meet Jake Drysdale, a Slatt scholar who spent this summer conducting research on perovskite solar cells in Dr. Prashant Kamat's laboratory.
Important Dates for 2019 Awards
- Applications accepted October 1-31, 2018
- Notifications made by November 30, 2018
- Awards made in January for spring 2019, summer 2019, and fall 2019 funding periods
- Opportunities for students to present their research on campus are held in May, July, and October
- Final reports are due to ND Energy in May, August, and December
Students submitting an application will include the following information:
- Project Title
- Project Scope
- Brief Statement of Career Objectives
- Resume and Unofficial Transcripts
- STUDENTS APPLY HERE (the application process will reopen in October 2019)
Faculty submitting an application on behalf of the student will include the following information:
- Project Relevance to ND Energy's Mission
- Project Funding Period (spring, summer, fall 2019)
- Award Request (see student earnings ceiling, Office of Financial Aid, for stipend amount)
- Recommendation Letter
- FACULTY APPLY HERE (the application process will reopen in October 2019)
ATLANTA UNIVERSITY CENTER CONSORTIUM
Undergraduate students from the Atlanta University Center Consortium may apply for a Slatt summer research fellowship to conduct energy-related research with a Notre Dame faculty member affiliated with ND Energy. Only sophomore and junior students may apply. For more information and to apply, visit the Program Guidelines for AUC Students.
For more information about Slatt Fellowships, contact Barbara Villarosa at 574-631-4776 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Since 2006, Slatt Fellowships have been made possible through the generosity of Christopher (’80) and Jeanine Slatt in honor of Vincent P. Slatt, Notre Dame Class of 1943.