To enable advancements in interdisciplinary research at the University of Notre Dame, ND Energy provides consultation and research services to Notre Dame faculty and research associates. This includes proposal preparation and award management, access to world-class instrumentation and capabilities in materials characterization, and the development of education and outreach programs for broader impacts. In cooperation with Notre Dame Research, ND Energy staff are available to support faculty at every stage of the proposal and award process.
- Identify FOAs/RFPs relevant to PIs core expertise.
- Assist with identifying and building internal and external collaborations.
- Provide a checklist of items to be completed in accordance with the FOA Guidelines.
- Coordinate proposal writing activity – gathering information, organizing meetings, timeline, etc.
- Write the non-technical sections of the proposal in accordance with the FOA Guidelines.
- Read the technical and non-technical sections of the proposal and suggest improvements in accordance with the FOA Guidelines.
- Read and comment on any revisions made to the proposal.
- Gather internal documents as needed, including current and pending and CVs.
- Prepare the internal budget and budget justification in accordance with the FOA Guidelines.
- Provide letters of support from ND Energy for core research facilities, broader impacts, and other related services.
- Prepare or coordinate the completion of sponsor forms.
Subhash L. Shinde, Associate Director, 574-631-1425, firstname.lastname@example.org
Ginger Sigmon, Managing Director, 574-631-6247, email@example.com
Ian Lightcap, Research and Facilities Program Director, 574-631-1493, firstname.lastname@example.org
Anne Berges Pillai, Education and Outreach Associate Program Director, 574-631-9106, email@example.com
Barbara Villarosa, Business and Communications Program Director, 574-631-4776, firstname.lastname@example.org
Koby Keck, Administrative Coordinator, 574-631-2416, email@example.com
Materials Characterization Facility
- Provide state-of-the-art instrumentation with world-class characterization capabilities for general materials, surface, crystallographic, photovoltaic, and electrochemical analysis.
- Provide internal services, including free consultation (with complimentary sample analysis), individual training and group workshops, and instrument utilization grants.
- Provide external services, including materials analysis, materials analysis consulting, and sponsored materials research and development.
- Collaborate with researchers on proposal preparations and new instrumentation acquisitions.
- Consult with researchers to ensure high quality instrument performance and superb results.
Education and Outreach Development
- Consult with faculty to assess outreach needs and opportunities within the scope of research and make suggestions for connections with existing programs.
- Develop new education and outreach programs to address specific requirements of the “broader impacts” of the research proposal.
- Write or provide descriptions of outreach opportunities for the “broader impacts” section of the proposal to include existing programs such as K-12 outreach programs, community events, laboratory tours, seminar speakers, lectureship series, conferences, and any new programs that are developed to address specific requirements of the research proposal.
- Communicate, promote, and help execute existing and new education and outreach programs, including inviting speakers for seminars, lectures, and conferences and developing promotional materials such as articles, flyers, and posters.
- Maintain a list of faculty interested in various outreach events to best match faculty interests to outreach opportunities.
Consultant: Anne Berges Pillai, Education and Outreach Associate Program Director, 574-631-9106, firstname.lastname@example.org
Project Management and Financial Coordination
- Manage project goals and provide operational oversight as needed.
- Manage all aspects of the grant budget, including tracking and projecting expenditures, identifying and reconciling anomalies, approving invoices, and requesting budget revisions and cost or no-cost extensions, interfacing with Notre Dame Research and Sponsored Programs Accounting.
- Coordinate the hiring process of researchers on the project with appropriate department personnel.
- Organize and coordinate group meetings to assess progress on the project.
- Assist with quarterly progress reports and production deadlines by collecting data from researchers and subcontractors, organizing materials, and preparing budget narrative and charts.
- Consult as needed with the PI and provide regular reports on budget activities and other areas requiring attention.
Consultant: Barbara Villarosa, Business and Communications Program Director, 574-631-4776, email@example.com