Slatt Application Process for Notre Dame Students
If you are an undergraduate student from another university who is interested in more information about summer research at Notre Dame, click here to learn about Slatt Fellowships.
Applications will be accepted annually over a 5-month period starting October 1 to February 28. Applications will be reviewed twice with notifications made in December and March. This extended time period is intended to allow undergraduate students more time to seek projects of greatest interest with affiliated faculty, whether it's for research during the academic year or during the summer months when students can delve deeper into research topics without the distraction of classes, exams, and other educational events and extracurricular activities.
Students will complete an online application in collaboration with their faculty advisor, who will help students articulate their research goals. Faculty advisors will also complete an online supporting application on behalf of the student.
If you are looking for a research project, there may be opportunities available with research groups that participated in the 2019 Sustainability Expo. These groups represent ND Energy affiliated faculty who have openings within their laboratories and would be interested in meeting with undergraduate students to discuss their research interests and project ideas: Burns Research Group, Guo Research Group (CISTAR), Gupta Research Group, Hicks Research Group (CISTAR), Hixon Research Group, Lightcap Research Group, Mechtenberg Research Group, Ptasinska Research Group, Schneider Research Group (CISTAR).
Academic Year Research (Notre Dame students interested in conducting research during the spring semester should follow this schedule. Students may choose to extend their research projects through the summer and/or fall semester.)
- October 1 – November 15, 5 PM (EST): Applications accepted for spring 2021
- December: Notifications made for academic year research
- January: Funding available for academic year research
Summer Research (Students interested in conducting research during the summer at Notre Dame should follow this schedule. Notre Dame students may choose to extend their research projects through the fall semester.)
- November 16 – February 28, 5 PM (EST): Applications accepted for summer 2021
- March: Notifications made for summer research
- May: Funding available for summer research
Notre Dame students will submit an online application to include the following information:
- Project Title
- Scope of Work (project description, research objectives, role and responsibilities, collaborators, and project period)
- Statement of Career Goals
- Resume and Unofficial UG Transcripts
Student Application Link (Application link reopens October 1)
Faculty advisors will submit an online application in support of the student to include the following information:
- Project Relevance to ND Energy's Mission
- Previous Funding
- Project Period
- Award Budget (see student earnings ceiling, Office of Financial Aid, for stipend amount)
- Recommendation Letter
Faculty Supporting Application Link (Application link reopens October 1)