The Center for Sustainable Energy at Notre Dame (ND Energy) is seeking a highly qualified Laboratory Specialist who will support the research efforts of the Materials Characterization Facility (MCF), a core research facility at the University of Notre Dame. The MCF provides state-of-the-art equipment and instrumentation with major capabilities in areas that support scientific advancements and new or improved technologies and systems. Major research capabilities include:
- General Materials Characterization – Modern instrumentation and expertise for solid, liquid, and gas characterization by spectroscopic, thermal, Xray, BET, and spectrometric analytical methods.
- Photovoltaic and Electrocatalyst Characterization – Two catalyst and photovoltaic testing stations include solar simulators, automated gas sampling loops for inline GC evolved gas detection, and a potentiostat with eletrochemical impedance and rotating disc electrode capabilities.
- Crystallographic Characterization – Powder and single crystal xray diffractometers are available for a wide range of structural characterization.
The Laboratory Specialist will assist the MCF Director in maintaining all laboratory areas and equipment in the MCF, as well as perform the following primary responsibilities:
- Develop expertise in the use of all instruments in the MCF. This includes training new users, conducting or assisting with training workshops, resolving routine performance issues with the instruments, answering facility users’ questions, and assisting users in obtaining high quality data. The specialist will also assist in advancing research efforts and collaborations. (40%)
- Assist with the operation and maintenance of the laboratory instruments and accessories in the MCF to ensure quality performance and results. This includes ordering laboratory supplies and noncapital equipment, cleaning laboratory instruments and surrounding spaces, running samples and instrument calibration checks, and maintaining a record of preventive maintenance checks, safety inspections, and repairs. (25%)
- Assist with administrative functions as directed by the MCF Director. This includes conducting computerbased data searches, inputting information into the CORES billing system, conducting routine analyses for customers (internal and external), and preparing data reports. (25%)
- Provide training, mentoring, and oversight to student workers in the MCF. This includes providing supervision and instruction, assisting with the use of instrumentation, and other tasks as needed to ensure quality performance and productivity. (10%)
Applicants should have a Bachelor of Science degree in a technical field with a solid background in science and/or engineering and at least 1 to 2 years of previous work experience in a laboratory setting.
The ideal candidate will have some management experience with a strong work ethic and ability to interact effectively with researchers at all levels; a working knowledge of the control and data acquisition electronics to be able to troubleshoot the MCF instruments; strong electrical skills for both power and instrumentation applications; strong data acquisition and computer skills; excellent verbal and written communication skills to effectively conduct high quality training programs and prepare thoroughly and accurately written instructional materials for the use of instruments; basic chemistry knowledge; and the ability to bend, squat, crawl, climb, and lift up to 25 pounds.
This is a full-time position with a salary range of $31,739 - $54,411. Compensation will be commensurate with education, background, and professional experience.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to: http://jobs.nd.edu/postings/13909.
The University of Notre Dame is committed to diversity (https://diversity.nd.edu/) in its staff, faculty, and student body. As such, we strongly encourage applications from members of minority groups, women, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and others who will enhance our community. The University of Notre Dame, an international Catholic research university, is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.