Assistant Professor, Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
Ph.D., Polymer Science and Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology
M.E., Material Science and Engineering, Beijing University of Chemical Technology
B.E., Polymer Engineering, Beijing University of Chemical Technology
Research in the Guo group combines engineering and chemistry principles for the design, synthesis and characterization of functional polymer and polymer-based membrane materials with applications in the areas impacting both energy and the environment. Topics of the group’s research span several fields, including development of new high performance polymeric membranes for energy-efficient gas separations (e.g., natural gas purification, carbon capture, H2 purification, air separation), nanophase-separated multiblock copolymers for polyelectrolyte membrane fuel cells (PEMFCs), functional copolymer membranes for water treatment/desalination, as well as fundamental studies on structure-property relationship for polymer or polymer-based materials.
Relevant Energy Publications
- Wiegand, J.R.; Smith, Z.P.; Liu, Q.; Patterson, C.T.; Freeman, B.D.; Guo, R.*, Synthesis and Characterization of Triptycene-based Polyimides with Tunable High Fractional Free Volume for Gas Separation Membranes, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2014, 2, 13309–13320.
- Sanders, D.F.; Guo, R.; Smith, Z.P.; Stevens K.A.; Liu, Q.; McGrath, J.E.; Paul, D.R.; Freeman, B.D.*, Influence of Polyimide Precursor Synthesis Route and ortho-Position Functional Group on Thermally Rearranged (TR) Polymer Properties: Pure Gas Permeability and Selectivity, Journal of Membrane Science, 2014, 463, 73–81.
- Sanders, D.F.; Smith, Z.P.; Guo, R.; Robeson, L.M.; McGrath, J.E.; Paul, D.R.; Freeman, B.D.*, Energy Efficient Polymeric Gas Separation Membranes for a Sustainable Future: A Review, Polymer, 2013, 54(18), 4729–4761.
- Guo, R.; Sanders, D.F.; Smith, Z.P.; Freeman, B.D.; Paul, D.R.; McGrath, J.E.*, Synthesis and Characterization of Thermally Rearranged (TR) Polymers: Effect of Glass transition Temperature of Aromatic Poly(hydroxyimide) Precursors on TR Process and Gas Permeation Properties, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2013, 1 (19), 6063–6072.
- Guo, R.; Lane, O.R.; VanHouten, D.; McGrath, J.E.*, Synthesis and Characterization of Phenolphthalein Based Poly(arylene ether sulfone) for Proton Exchange Membrane Applications, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 2010, 49, 12125–12134.