Office: 261 Fitzpatrick Hall of Engineering
Professor, Department of Electrical Engineering
Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
B.S., Electrical Engineering, University of Notre Dame
My research in photovoltaics centers on novel approaches to achieving high-performance III-V semiconductor solar cells. The application of novel fabrication processing techniques to improve performance of solar cells for both terrestrial and space applications is an ongoing area of active research. Exploration of unconventional cell architectures, including ultra-lightweight solar cells for airborne applications requiring high specific power density, is another area of current interest. Research in energy efficient electronics includes development of high-power transistors for power conversion, high-efficiency high-speed transistors for energy-efficient wireless communications, and ultra-low-power devices for computation. These include vertical devices for high current/high voltage applications for DC/DC conversion and grid-tied storage applications based on GaN, ultra-fast highly-scaled GaN-channel HEMTs for efficient microwave and millimeter-wave communications and signal processing, and low-voltage tunneling-based heterostructure devices (TFETs and heterostructure backward diodes) in the InAs/AlGaSb and InGaAs/GaAsSb/InP material systems for ultra-low-power digital circuits.
Photovoltaics, Thermophotovoltaics, Power Conversion, RF, Microwave, Millimeter-Wave, MMICs
Relevant Energy Publications
- J. Ren, B. Song, H. Xing, W. Li, S. Chen, A. Ketterson, E. Beam, T. M. Chou, M. Pilla, H. Q. Tserng, X. Gao, P. Saunier, and P. Fay, “Model Development for Monolithically-Integrated E/D-mode Millimeter-Wave InAlN/AlN/GaN HEMTs,” Proc. Compound Semiconductor Integrated Circuit Symp., San Diego, CA, 2014.
- M. Schuette, A. Ketterson, B. Song, E. Beam, T. M. Chou, M. Pilla, H. Q. Tserng, X. Gao, S. Guo, P. Fay, H. Xing, and P. Saunier, “Gate-Recessed Integrated E/D GaN HEMT Technology with fT/fmax > 300 GHz,” IEEE Electron Device Lett., vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 741-743, 2013.
- Y. Zhao, A. Wibowo, C. Youtsey, and P. Fay, “Inductively Coupled Plasma Etching of Through-Cell Vias in III-V Multi-Junction Solar Cells using SiCL4/Ar,” J. Vacuum Science and Technol. B, vol. 31, 06FF05, pp. 1-5, doi: 10.1116/1.4822015, 2013.
- Y. Zhao, A. Wibowo, J. Liu, C. Youtsey, and P. Fay, “Via-Hole Fabrication for III-V Triple-Junction Solar Cells,” J. Vacuum Science and Technol. B, vol. 30, no. 6, p. 06F401-1 -6, 2012.
- Y. Lu, G. Zhou, R. Li, Q. Liu, Q. Zhang, T. Vasen, S. D. Shae, T. Kosel, M. Wistey, H. Xing, A. Seabaugh, and P. Fay, “Performance of AlGaSb/InAs TFETs with gate electric field and tunneling direction aligned,” IEEE Electron Device Lett., vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 655-657, 2012.