physics -> chemistry -> materials / engineering / environment
- Examine energy loss, charge and other properties of ionizing radiation
- Elucidate fundamental radiolytic decomposition of molecules and the kinetics of the transients
Safe nuclear -> actinide materials stabilization -> safer storage of materials
Current Energy Research
Safer storage of materials
- What effects occur in the bulk water?
- What happens at the interface?
- How do processes in the solid affect the interface or water?
Actinide Materials Stabilization
Self radiolysis will modify virtually all actinide systems
- changes to chemical composition
- modifications to physical state
- decrease in stability
- loss of functionality
Indirect damage by reactions with species produced by radiolysis of the environment
Direct damage by energy deposition in material
Potential SEI Research
- Experimental examination of irradiated surfaces theoretical characterization of surface species
- May be possible to irradiate actinide materials to accelerate radiation ageing processes using specific types of radiation