Office: 301 Stinson Remick Hall
Assistant Professor, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering & Earth Sciences
Ph.D., Environmental Engineering & Earth Science, Clemson University
M.S., Environmental Engineering & Earth Science, Clemson University
B.S., Chemistry, Radford University
Research in the Hixon group focuses on several aspects of transuranic (e.g., neptunium, plutonium, americium) chemistry, such as aqueous environmental geochemistry, environmental fate and transport, and aspects of national security. We use a variety of wet chemical, instrumental, and modeling techniques to study the transuranic elements across spatial and temporal scales and to predict their behavior in both natural and engineered systems. These elements pose a long-term environmental concern due to their toxicity and long half-lives. Therefore, this research is important to protect public health and safety, protect the environment, promote national defense and security, and support a sustainable nuclear fuel cycle.
Radiochemistry, Actinides, Nuclear Materials, Fate and Transport, Sorption, Kinetics, Nuclear Forensics, Surface-Complexation Model, Environmental Aging, Mechanistic Understanding
Relevant Energy Publications
- Hixon, A.E.; Powell, B.A. 2014. Observed changes in the mechanism and rates of Pu(V) reduction on hematite as a function of total plutonium concentration. Environmental Science & Technology, 48:9255-9262.
- Hixon, A.E.; Arai, Y.; Powell, B.A. 2013. Examination of the effect of alpha radiolysis on plutonium(V) sorption to quartz using multiple plutonium isotopes. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 403:105-112.
- Hixon, A.E.; DiPrete, D.P.; DeVol, T.A. 2013. Development of a colorimetric test for quantification of uranium in drinking water. Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry, 298:419-427.
- Roberts, K.A.; Kaplan, D.I.; Powell, B.A.; Bagwell, L.; Almond, P.; Emerson, H.; Hixon, A.; Jablonski, J.; Buchannan, C.; Waterhouse, T. 2012. SRNL Radionuclide Field Lysimeter Experiment: Baseline Construction and Implementation, Report Number SRNL-STI-2012-00603.
- Hixon, A.E.; Hu, Y.-J.; Kaplan, D.I.; Kukkadapu, R.K.; Nitsche, H.; Qafoku, O.; Powell, B.A. 2010. Influence of iron redox transformations on plutonium sorption to sediments. Radiochimica Acta, 98:685-692.