Undergraduate Sustainability Research and Education Expo
The Undergraduate Energy Research Expo has been a major cornerstone for increasing undergraduate participation in energy-related research at Notre Dame since 2012. The Expo is designed to match the interests of undergraduate students with research groups that have openings within their laboratories. It also supports the application process for students interested in funding opportunities like The Vincent P. Slatt Endowment for Undergraduate Research in Energy Systems and Processes.
The Research Expo was expanded in 2015 to include research and education programs in energy, the environment, and other sustainability studies and is now hosted by ND Energy, the Environmental Change Initiative, GLOBES at the Reilly Center, and the Minor in Sustainability.
3rd annual Undergraduate Sustainability Research and Education Expo!
Tuesday, January 31, 2017
6:30 - 8:00 PM
Read about this event in The Observer!
The following groups will be represented and are eager to meet with students to share program information and resources:
- Bertrand Farm
- Burns Research Laboratory
- Environmental Change Initiative – Fellowships and Ambassador Program
- Environmental Radiochemistry/Actinide Chemistry Research Laboratory
- Food Rescue US
- Fund for the Public Interest
- Go Research Laboratory
- Great Lakes Project
- GreenScale Research Project
- Guo Research Laboratory
- Hixon Research Laboratory
- Jones Research Laboratory – Freshwater Ecology
- Kellogg and Kroc Institutes – Research Grants, International Scholars Program, International Development Studies Minor
- Lightcap Research Laboratory – Making Fuels with Sunlight
- Master of Global Affairs
- Medvigy Research Laboratory
- Minor in Sustainability
- Molecular-level Energy and Mass Transport (MEMT) Research Laboratory
- ND Energy – Energy Studies Minor, Student Energy Board, Slatt Research Fellowships
- Notre Dame Career Center
- Prairie Winds Nature Farm
- Regional Environmental Action Network, IU-South Bend
- Reilly Center, GLOBES Program
- Renewable Energy Policy in Various Countries - Student Research Project
- Student Government
- Unity Gardens
- Urban Forestry Sustainability
- W.A.T.E.R. Research Laboratory
The following is an overview of the 2016 event:
2nd Annual Undergraduate Sustainability Research Expo
The Expo was held Monday, January 25, 2016 from 7:00 – 8:00 PM in the Sorin Room, LaFortune Student Center. This event provided an opportunity for all undergraduate students to meet with faculty members and graduate students engaged in sustainability research. It also provided a means for helping students match their research interests with available research opportunities (for pay or credit) during the summer and academic year. Major research areas represented during the Expo focused on energy, the environment, policy and ethical issues, and other topics related to sustainability. All undergraduate students were welcome to attend.
The following research groups were represented at the 2016 expo. Students wishing to get involved in these and other research programs may complete an online application, which will be shared with the research groups for consideration.
Jones Research Group - Dr. Stuart Jones, Assistant Professor, Department of Biological Sciences (Aquatic Ecology)
Kamat Research Group - Dr. Prashant Kamat, Professor, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry (Nanostructure Architectures and Energy Conversion Processes)
Lamberti Research Group - Dr. Gary Lamberti, Professor, Department of Biological Sciences (Stream and Wetland Ecology)
Phillip Research Group - Dr. William Phillip, Assistant Professor, Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering (Water Purification and Advanced Transport Engineering)
Rocha Research Group - Dr. Adrian Rocha, Assistant Professor, Department of Biological Sciences (Ecosystem Exchanges of Mass and Energy)
Thrall Research Group - Dr. Ashley Thrall, Assistant Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and Earth Sciences (Kinetic Structures)
Kurama Research Group - Dr. Yahya (Gino) Kurama, Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and Earth Sciences (Recycled Concrete Structural Applications)
- Tuesday, January 31, 2017, 6:30-8:00 p.m., Ballroom, LaFortune
- Monday, January 25, 2016, 7:00-8:00 p.m., Sorin Room, LaFortune
- Monday, January 26, 2015, 7:00-8:00 p.m., Hesburgh Library Concourse
- Monday, February 10, 2014, 7:30-8:30 p.m., Stinson-Remick Atrium
- Monday, January 21, 2013, 7:30-8:30 p.m., Stinson-Remick Atrium
- Monday, January 30, 2012, 8:00-9:00 p.m., Stinson-Remick Atrium
The Undergraduate Sustainability Research Expo is sponsored by the Campus Coalition on Research and Education for Sustainability (Environmental Change Initiative, GLOBES at the Reilly Center, Minor in Sustainability, Center for Sustainable Energy at Notre Dame).