Energy Studies Minor
Current Students! See below for an important announcement and class search instructions
The Energy Studies Minor is a minor open to all undergraduate students in all majors and colleges at the University of Notre Dame. This minor is intended to prepare students to become successful leaders who understand the complexities of society's energy challenges. In addition, students will draw from technical and non-technical resources to move our country and the world toward a more sustainable energy future for all. The Energy Studies Minor offers two tracks from which students may select.
- Track 1 is a technical track, intended to provide a foundation of technical knowledge in energy.
- Track 2 is a non-technical track, intended to provide students of any major with a broader perspective of the business, societal, and political considerations of energy generation and use.
Both tracks require two courses (6 credits), as well as a capstone project to be determined by the student and the minor advisor. In addition, three elective courses (9 credits) are required to be selected from a technical or non-technical list in consultation with the minor advisor.
- ENER 20101: Energy and Society - fundamental technical skills needed to understand energy systems (taught by Physics).
- ENER 20202: Business of Energy - survey of energy resources, global climate change, basics of energy business and finance, energy economics, national and global energy policy, the psychology and ethics of energy consumption and behavior, and new urbanism (organized through the Mendoza College of Business).
CLASS SEARCH INSTRUCTIONS
To search for current class offerings within the Energy Studies Minor, the following course attributes are now available through the Office of the Registrar in Class Search. By clicking and holding down the SHIFT key, you can highlight all of the subject codes, select one of these attributes, and see the flagged courses for these requirements.
ENNT - Enrgy Studies Nontechcl
ENTE - Enrgy Studies Technical
For more information about the minor and to discuss your class options in more detail, contact Dr. Stephen Takach, cSEND Managing Director, at 574-631-1425 or email@example.com.
Both required courses -- Energy & Society and Business of Energy -- will be offered in the Spring 2014 semester.
- Energy &Society is normally offered only in the fall semester. However, due to canceling the course for fall 2013, Physics will offer the course spring 2014.
- Business of Energy is normally offered only in the spring semester. Taking the Energy & Society course first to acquire some foundational energy knowledge is preferable, but in this circumstance, students may take both courses at the same time.
- Elective courses from the student's chosen track (technical or non-technical) may be taken when available.
To schedule an appointment with Dr. Stephen Takach to discuss these options in more detail, contact Jennifer Pavlick at 574-631-2416 or firstname.lastname@example.org.