Education and Outreach
A key component of ND Energy is to assist faculty with building strong energy related research programs and creating education and outreach programs to support their research. Fellowship programs are offered to undergraduate and graduate students and postdoctoral research associates who are interested in energy related research. These fellowships help to strengthen their knowledge and understanding of new technologies and systems in energy. By collaborating with campus groups, community leaders, and external partners, ND Energy is able to develop education programs to support community outreach and lay the groundwork for future research programs and external collaborations.
ND Energy offers competitive fellowships for undergraduate and graduate students and postdoctoral research associates to conduct energy related research at Notre Dame. These fellowships support new and enhanced developments in energy related research and help to broaden the educational experience of each recipient. For more information about the following fellowship programs, please contact Barbara Villarosa (office phone: 574-631-4776).
Undergraduate Student Fellowships
The Vincent P. Slatt Endowment for Undergraduate Research in Energy Systems and Processes
Applications will be accepted starting in February 2015.
The Forgash Undergraduate Student Fellowship for Solar Energy Research
Applications are now being accepted for 2015!
Graduate Student Fellowships
The Patrick and Jana Eilers Graduate Student Fellowship for Energy Related Research
Applications are now being accepted for 2015!
ND Energy Postdoctoral Fellowship Program
Applications are accepted on an on-going basis.
- Energy Studies Minor: This minor is administered by ND Energy and is open to all undergraduate students in all majors and colleges at the University of Notre Dame. Students may choose a technical or nontechnical track of study. Other energy related minors at Notre Dame are the Energy Engineering Minor for undergraduate students in Engineering and the Minor in Sustainability for all undergraduate students in all majors and colleges.
- RET—Research Experiences for Teachers: Engineering a More Sustainable Energy Future. Beginning in Summer 2012, area high school teachers and teachers from the Alliance for Catholic Education (ACE) program participate in energy related research programs at Notre Dame and develop curriculum and projects for their students in the classroom. This three-year program is funded by the National Science Foundation. ND Energy RET Experience
- Mastering the Art of Scientific Publication: This article was published by The Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters on October 16, 2014 and provides tips on writing a well-composed scientific paper, which may be helpful to graduate students and others who are new to the process of presenting their research results and drawing attention to their new scientific findings.
- Outreach Opportunities for Faculty: Read about the many outreach opportunities in which ND Energy faculty participate.
- Outreach Opportunities for Notre Dame Graduate and Undergraduate Students: Read about the many outreach opportunities in which Notre Dame Graduate and Undergraduate Students participate.
- Undergraduate Energy Research Expo: ND Energy researchers are invited to present information regarding their energy-related research projects during a poster demonstration focused on matching undergraduate researchers with faculty who have openings within their labs.
- Conferences: Leading experts in energy research and education are invited to participate in conferences sponsored by ND Energy.
- Distinguished Lecture Series 2014: This series brings to campus nationally recognized academic, industrial, and government experts to discuss best practices, new technologies, and policy development in energy.
- Energy Week 2014: Mark your Calendars for Energy Week -- October 6-10, 2014! This annual event is sponsored by the ND Energy Student Advisory Board and is designed to create awareness and educate students on critical energy related issues and topics.
- Science Alive 2015!: This local, annual event provides ND Energy the opportunity to teach children in grades K-8 about energy-related issues and topics through hands-on demonstrations and activities. Mark your calendars for the next ScienceAlive on Saturday, February 7, 2015 from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the St. Joseph County Public Library in Downtown South Bend.
- Dorm Energy Competitions: Sponsored by various organizations, there are several energy competitions each year. Unplug your appliances, take the stairs, and cheer your dorm on to victory! Follow the dorm stats on the Energy Dashboard
- Links to Energy Education Sites
- Links to Other Resources on Sustainability
- Career Development - Energy Career Workshop with Dayaway Careers: This website is geared toward college students looking for their first job opportunities in the field of renewable energy. There are also listings for internships, and the site includes company and job profiles. Mike Brownell, the founder of Dayaway Careers, has spoken at Notre Dame and will likely visit campus again.
JINA Art 2 Science Camp 2014: During the JINA Art 2 Science Camp from July 14-18, 2014 in the Jordan Hall of Science, over 175 children learned about the wonders of the physical universe and used their creativity to express their new knowledge by creating art and hands-on experiments. Check out the video here!
For more information about education and outreach, please contact Elizabeth Westfall (office phone: 574-631-9106).
Distinguished Lecture Series 2013
Distinguished Lecture Series 2012
Distinguished Lecture Series 2011
Distinguished Lecture Series 2010
Distinguished Lecture Series 2009
Distinguished Lecture Series 2008
Moving the Classroom into the Lab: Undergraduate students from the “Physical Methods of Chemistry” class conducted research projects in the Materials Characterization Facility to help broaden their knowledge and enhance their research experience at Notre Dame.
Switch documentary film, April 2013.
2008 Notre Dame Forum on Sustainable Energy