Anne Berges Pillai
Anne Berges Pillai joined the Center for Sustainable Energy at Notre Dame (ND Energy) in July 2015 as the Education and Outreach Associate Program Director. Prior to this, Anne worked as outreach coordinator at Notre Dame’s Kellogg Institute for International Studies, where she created and managed programs that connected the Institute’s international resources with area schools. She has also helped coordinate the Teachers As Scholars program under Notre Dame’s Office of Public Affairs and managed special projects for the Notre Dame Haiti Program. Anne has over 25 years of experience as a professional educator, including three years as an adjunct professor in Holy Cross College’s Department of Education. Previous teaching experience includes high school biology and middle school math and science, plus two years teaching in rural Nepal with the Peace Corps. Her Bachelor of Science in Biology is from the University of Notre Dame and she earned a Master of Science Education from Oregon State University. She has held teaching certificates in three states. With Anne’s broad experience in education and outreach, she will contribute greatly to advance ND Energy’s mission by developing high quality programs to connect energy related research initiatives at Notre Dame with the campus and surrounding communities.
Anne's current responsibilities with ND Energy are to:
- Manage the Energy Studies Minor, which is open to all undergraduate students in all majors at Notre Dame.
- Serve as the primary administrator for the Research Experiences for Teachers program, funded by the National Science Foundation.
- Develop on- and off-campus education and outreach programs in collaboration with faculty, student organizations, campus departments, and the community.
- Consult with faculty on "broader impacts" and assess outreach needs and opportunities within the scope of their research.
- Develop new education and outreach programs to address the specific requirements of “broader impacts” for research proposals.